The Halifax Common Link pathway provides Halifax citizens and its visitors with an opportunity to enjoy our City’s beautiful parks, gardens and green spaces. It encourages more walking activity, and for many, a healthier and more accessible and equitable alternative to driving. Further, it encourages greater use of the many features of our City’s green spaces.
The Common Link Association is an incorporated non profit society of walking and hiking enthusiasts. The Association worked in partnership with the City of Halifax to develop, design, and maintain this pathway linking the major green spaces in the heart of the City.
For the citizens
- An addition opportunity to enjoy our City’s beautiful green spaces
- A healthy recreation option encouraging lifelong active living pursuits
- Greater sense of well being
- Opportunity to take advantage of other City highlights
History – Halifax Citadel, Camp Hill Cemetery, Museum of Natural History, etc
Recreation facilities – Emera Oval, Skate Park, Recreation Centre, Tennis, Baseball, etc
Shopping areas – Quinpool, Spring Garden Road, Scotia Square
Public Gardens and new Common North improvements – fountains, ponds, trees, flowers, stream
For the Green Spaces
- Increased public interest and support for inner city green spaces
- Active transportation improvement and protection
- An enjoyable HRM attraction
- Increased knowledge and information about our city
Why do we have a Halifax Common?
The Halifax Common was laid out under the authority of Lieutenant Governor John Belcher between 1760-62 after several years of landless settlers clamouring for land in the new English colony. The 23 June 1763 Halifax Common Crown Grant by King George III, was for 235 acres of common land and 5 acres of roads. It is recorded in the Nova Scotia Land Grants, old Book 3, p.168 as belonging…”to and for the use of the inhabitants of the Town of Halifax as Common forever”.
How big is the Halifax Common?
The land grant, behind Citadel Hill, stretches from the present Cunard Street to South Street. The eastern boundary extends along today’s North Park Street, Ahearn Avenue, Bell Road and South Park Street to South Street. The western border follows Robie Street between Cunard Street and South Street.
What has happened to the Halifax Common?
Since the mid 1800s the Halifax Common has increasingly been used for private purpose until presently when only twenty percent remains as public open space. This change has been gradual such that many commoners are unaware of the extent and boundaries of the 240 acres. As time passes pressure on the remaining public open space is increasing and too often decisions are made that are counter to the interests and in-put of citizens.